Management of Higher Education
|Duration of Study
Our MA graduate program in higher education and student affairs administration(HESA) is the first program of its type in China. It is designed for students who are planning careers as student affairs administrators and other professionals in higher education. Students have up to two years to complete the degree program.The mission of our HESA program is to prepare student affairs administrators and other professionals in higher education who can work effectively, efficiently, and ethically in a variety of higher education environments.
Our faculty have strong scholarly records and extensive experience in senior and mid level administrative roles. Overall, our faculty resources include expertise in the areas of student development, organization and administration, teaching and learning,assessment and evaluation, comparative education, economics and finance, enrollment management, institutional research, and policy studies.
• Understand the dynamic roles and functions of higher education and student affairs in higher education.
• Articulate the mission and philosophy of their institutions and their functional areas.
• Work independently and collaboratively with diverse groups of students and faculty to promote their success.
• Design, implement, assess, and evaluate development programs within the context of higher education.
• Engage in managerial and administrative functions with an ethical and cultural awareness.
• Manage and develop resources, including program budgets, staff, information technologies, and strategic plans.
• Solve problems that require effective communication, thoughtful decision making, coping with ambiguity, and managing conflict.
• Develop a professional identity based on professional values, career goals, group dialogues, and personal reflections.
The HESA program enrolls approximately 12-15 international students per year in the program. We believe that the small size and the diverse background of the class cohorts are conducive to forging positive and powerful relationships among students and faculty, enriching the educational environment, and expanding horizons through international partnerships. Students are also provided with opportunities to do practicum in the functional areas at BNU or in other places to gain the professional experience that enables them to apply theory to practice.